You can easily check your refund online using the IRS2Go app or the Where’s My Refund tool. The data is updated every 24 hours on these websites.
The IRS can be reached by phone to check on your refund. But, the wait times can be long. To avoid this, you can use an automated system and follow the prompts on the call.
Keep on reading as in this article we will discuss how to check state tax refund and other related questions you might have in your mind.
Your tax refund usually arrives within 21 days following your submission of your return, although it can be delayed or even not be the amount that you expected.
You can check the status of your refund by providing the necessary information, such as your Social Security number and filing status.
Was your tax return submitted? | How do I check on my tax refund?
You can file a tax return online or through a mail-in form.
You can also consult a tax professional or use an e-filing software.
If you’re expecting a refund, or if you have an outstanding debt, you can check the status of your return by:
- Using the IRS Where’s My Refund tool
- Viewing your IRS account information
- Calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 (Wait times to speak to a representative may be long.)
- Looking for emails or status updates from your e-filing website or software
You can track your tax return’s status by using a mail service that provides delivery confirmation or tracking. For instance, you can use the US Postal Service’s certified mail service.
How do I know if I got a state or local tax refund?
If your state or local government has not gone paperless, you may have received a W-2 form, also known as a 1099-G.
You should get yours by mid-February, if they still send out paper forms. If you received a W-2 form, make sure that it’s for your state or local tax refund.
You must have these documents to show how much tax you paid in the previous year. On the W-2 form, the state income tax is shown in box 17, while the local tax is shown in box 19. You can also contribute to the state’s benefit funds using box 14.
What is taxable refunds of state and local taxes?
If you receive a credit or refund for your local or state income taxes in a particular year, you must add the entire amount to your income in the following year.
This rule applies even if the refund includes excess or untaxed amounts, or if it is applied from a prior tax return.
However, if you have unclaimed expenses from a previous year, you are not required to include the refunds in your income.
Conversely, if you only deducted a portion of the taxes from your income in the previous year, you should include the remaining refund amount.
Why is my refund still processing?
There can be several reasons why your tax return might be delayed:
- Check for any errors such as an incomplete filing status
- Is there any missing information
- Is there a need for additional review
- Check if there is any possible identity theft or tax fraud
- A claim for an earned income tax credit or an additional child tax credit
- If your return pertains to form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, then it can take up to 14 weeks to process
How to Get Your Tax Refund Faster
If you have not filed a tax return yet, you will not be able to fast-track the refund process by calling the IRS or checking its status.
The agency will then contact you to request additional information.
Some tips to speed up your refunds are:
- Always use E filing
- You can get your tax refund faster by filing it online instead of using paper returns.
- The IRS processes paper returns manually, which can cause delays.
- Always opt for direct deposit of refunds
- One of the fastest ways to get your tax refund is by directly depositing it into your bank account, though you can also use a prepaid debit card for this purpose.
- Make sure you avoid any errors while filing
- Your tax return may contain mistakes or incomplete information, which can delay the processing of your refund.
- Taxpayers should also gather all necessary tax documents, such as W-2s and other tax forms, to avoid potential errors. The IRS encourages individuals to use the correct filing status.
- You should mark your status as a single, married couple, or a qualified widow or widower as per your status to get refund on time.
- Before you start the process of filing a tax return, make sure that all of your income documents, such as W-2s, are on hand.
- Underreporting can result in penalties and interest, and processing delays can affect your refund.
- If you’re not able to include the cost of living adjustment in your tax return, or if you exclude unemployment compensation then it can lead to an audit. This provision was included in the 2020 tax bill, but it does not apply to the 2021 tax bill.
- Make sure that all of your entries are correct, and look for spelling mistakes in your name, social security number, and account numbers.
- In the section about cryptocurrencies, you must answer the question whether or not you have received, sold, or exchanged any cryptocurrency in 2021. The IRS requires you to provide this information, so it should be marked either yes or no.
- You must also sign and date your tax return to avoid having it marked incomplete and subject to a lengthy review process.
How to check state tax refund?
You can watch the below video to understand the basics of how to check state tax refund easily and easily while sitting on your couch at home.
I hope I have cleared your doubts about state tax refunds and how to check state tax refund. After going through this article you will not need to visit any other article.
If you liked this article and this article helped you then please visit other articles on my website. I write one post every day on my website.
Also, if you liked this article, then please share this article with your friends and family and spread the knowledge.
How long does CA state refund take?
Refunds typically take around two to four weeks depending on the method used. You can get your refund by filing a paper return or e-mailing it.
When can I check my refund status?
You can check your 2022 tax refund’s status 24 hours after filing. For instance, you can do so after e-filing returns for the 2020 and 2021 tax years. However, you should allow around three or four days after filing to see if your refund has changed.
Why is my refund still processing after 3 months?
If you filed a paper return, it could take up to six months for the IRS to process it. In most cases, the agency issues refunds within 21 days. But, it’s possible that your return may need additional review.
Should I be worried if my refund is delayed?
If you haven’t heard from the IRS within three weeks following your return’s submission, it’s time to contact them.
Hi there, my name is Shivani and I’m the founder of Fuelcoin and co-founder of Thefinanceopedia. I created this blog to share my knowledge and experience in cryptocurrency, banking, personal finance, and the stock market, and to help others build wealth.